Saints of the Week:
March 4th, St. Casimir.
Casimir lived from 1458 to 84, and strove to promote the peace and unity of Western Europe.
Though a young prince, he chose a life of prayer and penance. He is one of the patrons of Poland.
Saints of the Celtic Calendar:
March 1st, St. David.
David is the Patron Saint of Wales, where he was an abbot and Bishop in the 6th Century. Several Irish saints were his pupils and he influenced monastic development in Ireland. He died around 601.
March 5th, St. Kieran.
Kieran of Saigir was born in Cape Clear, Co. Cork. He is numbered among the Pre- Patrician saints of Ireland. He went to the Continent, where he was baptised and later ordained priest and bishop. He returned to his father’s territory, Ossory, where he lived as a hermit. Disciples soon joined him and Saigir became a well known monastery.
Mass Intentions for the week ahead, March 1st.
Monday, March 1st.
10:00, Declan Donohue and deceased of Donohue Family.
Tuesday, March 2nd.
10:00, 1. All our Sick.
2. Baby Ann Bridget Ward and Ward and Sherlock families.
Wednesday, March 3rd.
10:00, Free Intention.
Thursday, March 4th.
10:00, Madge and Thomas and Margaret Hughes and deceased of the family.
Friday, March 5th.
10:00, William and Bridget Powell.
7:30, 1. Mary Wims and deceased members of Wims and Gannon families.
2. Mary Murphy.
Saturday, March 6th.
7:30, Vigil Mass, Third Sunday in Lent.
Rita Boland, Months Mind Mass.
Sunday, March 7th.
9:30, Free Intention.
11:00, 1. Anthony Cunningham.
2. Noreen O’Flaherty.
12:15, Tom and Ethel Whelan.
6:30, 1. Bertie Brodie.
2. Katie O’Brien and deceased of O’Brien and Corley families.
1. Daily Mass here in the Sacred Heart from Monday to Friday at 10:00.
2. For Lent we have Morning Prayer of the Church before the Daily Mass at 9:50.
3. Friday next, March 5th is the First Friday. There will be an Evening Mass at 7:30 with Benediction.
Monsignor Malachy is doing his Communion Calls on Friday and Fr. David on Thursday.
4. Adoration every night from 8 to 10; new adorers always welcome.
5. Confessions on Saturdays from 6:30 to 7:30.
6. The Irish Catholic is on sale in the church, also the Sacred Heart Messenger.
Visit their websites:
7. The Trócaire Box has been part of the Irish Lenten Experience since 1973, and they are available at the church doors. Why not find out more about the Trócaire campaign and their work at http://www,trocaire.org/
8. The Parish Boxes for the Offertory Collection will be distributed this week. Boxes for Laurel Park, Ros Geal, Gort Greine, Rosan Glas, Corrach Bui, and those outside the parish boundary who are part of our worshiping community, are available from the parish office (Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday’s from 10:30 to 1:00/ T:091-524305) or from the sacristy after any of the Masses.
9. The St. Joseph’s Church Restoration Social takes place next Friday, March 5th, in The Salthill Hotel with dinner, raffle, auction and music from The Conquerors. The doors open at 7 pm and details can be had from 091- 562276/ 565021
10. The 26th Annual Pilgrimage to The City of the Sacred Heart (Paray- le- Monial) takes place from June 7th to 14th. The Spiritual Director is Fr. Charles Davey, S.J., (Galway), and the trip will include a visit to Ars and Verosvres and a Tridium in Honour of the Sacred Heart.
Details can be had from Edward and Carmel Donaghy at 041- 6871877.
11. ACCORD the Catholic Marriage Organisation is looking for volunteers who will help present pre-marriage courses and/or be involved in counselling at its Galway centre. There will be an information evening on Wednesday, April 14th, at 8 pm, in The Diocesan Pastoral Centre, Arus de Brun, Newtownsmith. For more information ring ACCORD Galway at 091- 562331.
12. The Annual Galway Diocesan Pilgrimage to Lourdes takes place again this year from July 1st to 6th led by Bishop Martin Drennan.
Fr. Martin Moran, PP, Kilannin, 091-550106.
13. A Holy Icon Exhibition takes place in the Tertiary Hall, St. Mary’s, the Claddagh, from Friday, March 12th until Tuesday, March 16th. The official opening of the exhibition will be at 7:30 on the evening of March 12th by Dr. Eugene Duffy, Theologian. Admission is free.
14. Pray for our Faithful Departed:
Mary Healy, 7 Reddington Road, whose Funeral Mass took place during the week.
The Months Mind for Rita Boland, Oakley Crescent, Highfield Park, takes place next Saturday, March 6th, at 7:30 pm.
Brother Fidelis O’Connell, Patrician Brothers, Kingston, whose 1st anniversary occurs.
Click to zoom...